I just went for Marvel’s The Avengers movie kindly sponsored by omy.sg blog club and Golden Village Jurong Point. This is my first time travelling all the way down to Jurong Point just to catch a movie and it certainly did not disappoint me. We could bring a friend down and I brought my lil brother along! We were given two mini Magnums upon registeration. There were also popcorn combo packs (Drink and Popcorn) themed with The Avengers
The omy.sg bloggers were all invited to watch Marvel’s The Avengers at Golden Village Jurong Point (nearest MRT Station – Boon Lay). GV Jurong Point reopened its doors today after a $4.5 million dollar three-month renovation that promises an enhanced movie experience.
Some new and refurbished features of GV Jurong Point:
- 6 fully digital cinema halls (we were hosted at Hall 1)
- 1062 seats
- 14 wheelchair berths
- Legroom space is 1.1m, compared to 0.90m previously (which is really awesome as you would not need to make space for the other patrons that would be walking past you if they come in later).
- Stadium Seating
- Wider & more luxurious Camatic cinema seats
- Wall-to-Wall Spectro screens
- 7.1 Dolby Sound system with premium-grade EAW (Eastern Acoustic Works) speakers from the United States
- Refurbished box office, common areas, washrooms and candy bar counter
Promotions to celebrate the Opening of GV Jurong Point started today.
From 2nd to 23rd May, daily offers:
· Monday: Free coke drink with purchase of one large popcorn
· Tuesday: $2 for two cheesy hotdogs (usual price $4)
· Wednesday: All-day student pricing and $2 off on Nachos combo
· Friday & Saturday: Free late-night parking at Jurong Point Shopping Centre
· Sunday: Complimentary restaurant vouchers with every pair of tickets purchased before 2.00pm
As today was the grand opening for GV Jurong Point, GV invited Aunty Lucy (played by actor Dennis Chew) to make a guest appearance at GV Jurong Point. I didn’t manage to catch a photo with Aunty Lucy but I took a photo from the place that I was from (shy uh.)
View from the second last row.
This is my lil brother – Darren!
Alright now on the movie itself!
I didn’t have much background information on Marvel’s The Avengers but I do know like the Incredible Hulk, Captain America and Iron Man. Other main characters in the movie included The Black Widow, Loki, Hawkeye and Thor (God of Lightning). Some background info: Marvel the Avengers (Marvel Avengers Assemble) is a 2012 American superhero film produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures, based on the Marvel Comics superhero team with the same name.
The outline of the movie goes like this: SuperHeroes Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Captain America and Thor were gathered by The Widow Woman to help save the Earth from the Evil Loki who has stole the Tessament which has super powers that is able to get aliens to destroy the Earth. This two and a half hour movie was able to state the story line very well and I felt it emphasized a lot on team work. There was this part (if I didn’t get it wrong), when everyone was asked to come together and suddenly they were all quite unhappy with each other. Suddenly Hulk was enraged and transformed, and they were all fighting among each other which was something that bad guys would want to see if they see loopholes in between. And when everyone works together and strongly knitted together, they could all save the day.
This was a rather typical superhero-save-the-earth kind of movie. But the visuals and the sounds were all really good with the effects and everything (the 6.1 Dolby Surround brought out the effects, I almost thought something flew out from the side curtains) The climax really builds up and it makes one wanting to know what’s happening next and the different superheroes really bring out their own personas. One of the really funny scene that made everyone laughed and clapped their hands was when Hulk was slamming Loki (the bad guy) left right upside down.
- Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man: A self-described genius, billionaire, playboy and philanthropist with a mechanical suit of armor of his own invention
- Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America: A World War II veteran who was enhanced to the peak of human physicality by an experimental serum.
- Mark Ruffalo as Dr. Bruce Banner / Hulk (Lou Ferrigno voices the Hulk): A genius scientist who, because of exposure togamma radiation, transforms into a monster when enraged or excited.
- Chris Hemsworth as Thor: The god of thunder based on the Norse deity of the same name.
- Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow: A highly trained spy working for the international peacekeeping organization, S.H.I.E.L.D
- Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye: A S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and master archer known in the comics as the “World’s Greatest Marksman”
- Tom Hiddleston as Loki: Thor’s adoptive brother and nemesis based on the deity of the same name.
After watching this movie, maybe I should go to the library to get those Marvel’s superhero comics. It might be even better its 3D/iMax